Monday, March 5, 2012

i dream watches

When i graduated from High School, i was given my first ever real watch, a Rolex Datejust lady 31, which i found so tiny and never wore. At that time in college, it was the popular choice among girls but i really hated how small it looked in my wrist, so i gave it back to my dad and got his watch instead, a Yacht Master OP Junior size, which if i remember correctly was the first Rolex he bought for himself. I still have and wear the watch until now. I guess that really shows how boyish i was, even back then. My dad, who forces us, well force is such a strong word, advises us to wear a watch daily because he feels that a person who doesn't wear a watch should not be taken seriously because he does not value the time, was coerced to give me his watch just so that i would wear one.

My dad's

And that started my affair with Manly watches, long before big watches became popular for women. I was never really fond of ladies watches, except for Cartier's Tank medium size. I found the Tank to have a quiet elegance that never goes out of style. Don't get me wrong though, i am not obsessed, one decent watch is enough for me, i'm not the type of person who wants something and has to buy it. Besides the fact that i have no money. LOL

TANK FRANÇAISE, MEDIUM

TANK LOUIS CARTIER, EXTRA-LARGE

I'm thinking of selling my Datejust because after almost 10 years, i have not even worn it once and is just collecting dust in the safe. What's stopping me though is the thought that i don't have a dress watch, and of course a junior size watch does not go very well with a gown for formal events. But other than that, i really want to ditch it already. I really am not fond of small things, my first car was a Toyota Fortuner need i say more? Anyway, just musing on what to do while on lunch break. Some of my choices are the Rolex Submariner, Datejust Junior or Panerai. But i'm a bit scared that the Panerai may just be a fad, plus the re-sale value is not that good to be honest, unlike Rolex. Oh well. I think Rolex is safer. but who knows, right? :)



I went to a Jewelry and watch fair last year, and there was a store there selling vintage watches which are to die for. A girl can dream right? If i had the money, i would buy a vintage Audemar Piguet, that i believe would be my ultimate dream watch/collection. Collection... I'm really fantasizing uncontrollably. But buying vintage watches is still quite tricky, like wine it takes a real connoisseur to be able to buy because the it's not just about the outside looks anymore, you have to check the machinery of the watch which i have yet to learn, because like vintage cars some parts may have been changed and some might have been overhauled already this is quite normal but still very risky if you don't have the proper knowledge and eye in looking at the internal parts of watches.





Hands down, Vintage watches are still my top vote. It's just amazingly beautiful that modern watches cannot compare still.

No comments:

Post a Comment